In today's world, a woman's job is not to just stay at home, cook, clean and take care of the kids. Women are now fully in the workforce more than ever AND we are still expected to take care of the kids, cook, clean, contribute financially and basically just be an "I can do it all" "Supermom".
One of the things that has made my life so much more fulfilling and happier is having my own business. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I work on my business around the clock (more than a 9-5), but I have the freedom to create my own schedule giving me the power and liberty to create the life I want doing what I love and it all started as a home-based business.
If you are looking to work from home or start your own business so you can spend more time at home and with the kids, here are a few tips that helped me become financially free and able to do what I love everyday!
1. Decide what it is that you love to do. What is your passion? The most important advice I can give moms before starting their own business is choose something that you are genuinely passionate about. Don't think about "how can I make money", think about "what do I love to do"? You have to love what you do SO MUCH that if you are not getting paid to do it, you are still consistent and you work everyday because it is so much fun and you love it. Running a successful business takes time, so make sure you love what you do.
2. Don't doubt yourself. When you are deciding what your passion is, ideas will come to you. Don't let fear stop you from pursuing your ideas and what you really love to do. The ideas that come to your mind are coming to you for a reason. Not everyone wants to do what you want to do. Sure there is a lot of "competition" out there, but no one is YOU. No one has YOUR ideas. Pursue your ideas and make them a reality. Don't linger on this forever. Make a decision and start to take action!
3. Work on your vision everyday. Once you decide what your passion is start working on it right away. Buy a notepad specifically for your business and start writing down a list of things you need to do and start checking them off one by one. For example, what is the name of your business? Do you need a website? Do you have to take pictures of products? Do you have to make a list of your services? Take action and start working on your vision! Consistent action creates success!
4. Don't Make Excuses. You may be thinking, "I work full-time, I don't have time to start a business" or "I don't have money to start a business," and even though your excuses may be true, I am here to tell you that where there is a will there is a way. Whatever you are thinking that you THINK is stopping you from creating your own business doing what you love, is literally just an excuse. If you work full-time, dedicate 30 minutes during your lunch everyday to work on your business or maybe wake up an hour earlier and work on your business. If you don't have money to invest in your business, start working on your business anyway doing what doesn't need money (coming up with a name, setting up social media, etc.). My point is, there is no excuse too great unless we make ourselves believe there is.
5. Research. Do you need a license? Do you need a permit? Do you need to buy a domain name? Figure it out! Contact someone you know that does something similar to what you want to do and ask them questions. Better yet, google it! I figured out mostly everything I know by asking people for help and by googling. Call around, ask questions, research, read and learn!
6. Start. Social media has opened up so many doors for me and has helped me create a successful business and I am so grateful, but this would have never became a reality if I didn't start. I was working full-time at Nordstrom with a 1 year old, building my own business during my off-hours. If I could start my own business, I know anyone can. Just take action all the time. Constantly be working on your vision. Take advantage of social media. It is free and it WILL bring you so much exposure.
7. Give. Make sure that your business is focused on GIVING. Your product or service has to be genuinely improving the lives of others and adding positivity to the world. For example, I am not in the business of selling jewelry or blogging. I am in the business of adding happiness to women's lives all over the world, making them feel beautiful and adding positivity to their lives everyday. The jewelry and articles I write are just the vehicles I use to GIVE.
7. Believe. It won't always be easy and sometimes you may be wondering in the back of your head if your vision is really going to work, but the most important part is believing in yourself and your vision NO MATTER WHAT. Just know that you were put on this earth to do something and that something is your passion. As long as you are staying true to yourself, doing what you love, consistently working on your business and never giving up you will be successful.
8. Surround yourself around positive uplifting people. Over my years of having my own business (especially in the beginning) I found that people always had an opinion. This might seem harsh, but if anyone gave me too much negative feedback about my business I would limit my communication with them because I wanted to succeed THAT BAD. If the person giving me advice was someone I looked up to and is successful themselves, I would take all the advice I can get, but if it was a friend or family member being negative or adding doubt to my mind, I just wouldn't talk to them much anymore. That simple! It makes the world of a difference when you change those that you surround yourself with. Find friends that want success and that have similar goals as you and you will find your world changing quickly!
Let me know how this works out for you!!!